International Women's Day 2018 Roundup
- The State Street Fearless Girl on Wall St caught the world’s attention in 2017…..and despite revealing some gender pay discrepancies last year, the brand has worked as a catalyst for other businesses to start creating traction on the drive for equality, with 152 US global businesses adding significant numbers of women to their boards as a result of the Fearless Girl campaign in 2017
- The Economist trying to increase their 30% female readership clearly stated their perspectives on sexism in the city
- UBER - celebrating their female drivers in Asia
- Mc Donald’s turned their ubiquitous M upside down to a W in some key locations
- Foyles Bookshop in Waterloo - created a women’s literature display
- Brewdog the British brewer launched a limited edition Pink IPA donating 20% of sales to women’s charities
- The previously discussed Diageo’s Jane Walker was challenged on its delivery but actually applauded for genuine equality credentials in their business
- Marches were organised in some traditionally challenging female countries - like Saudi and Pakistan, nuns marched in India and 5 MILLION women in Spain joined marches for equality
The key takeout for me is that IWD 2018, perhaps thanks to the horrors of the Weinstein #MeToo campaigns have started to change from simple awareness to real calls for action. Brands who have engaged with content for IWD were, for the most part, challenged on their equality credentials and called out if it was seen that they were just pinkwashing campaigns!
So what were your favourite global IWD 2018 spots??